What does it mean to be food secure?
Food Security occurs when:
- All people at all time can get safe, nutritious, acceptable foods in a manner that maintains dignity (Canadian Dietetic Association, 1991; p.139)
- People can earn a living by growing, producing, processing, handling, retailing, and serving food
- The quality of the land, air, and water is maintained and enhanced for future generations
- Food is celebrated as central to community and culture (BC Food Systems Network.
What is food insecurity?
Food insecurity occurs when:
- People are unable to get enough nutritious, acceptable food in normal ways
- People are uncertain that they can do this
Food for Thought